Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Baby Love

Thanks to all my friends, family and online readers for their concern about my kitty, Troy (shown above in my favorite baby pic, circa 1994). The good news is he is home where he belongs tonight. Being the spoiled little guy he is, an overnight stay in a scary hospital proved to be very hard on him. The vets had to put him in the "cage-aggressive" area and give him a tranquilizer because he was none-too-pleased when he woke up this morning and didn't see me (go, Troy!). The minute he saw me in the waiting room he went from a moaning and hissing terror to completely normal. When we got in the taxi, I opened his cage door so I could pet him and instead of staying in the cage like he normally does (terrified of a moving car, of course), he crawled right out and laid himself across my lap with his head up on my chest like a little baby. The cab stopped and started and weaved through traffic like a maniac, but Troy didn't flinch once and spent the whole ride staring into my eyes. It was the happiest ride I've ever had. Oddly, when we got home and Michael came over, he started to get really freaked out again and was hissing at both of us and moaning if we got anywhere near him. I had to finally make an appearance at work (these $1,300 kitty overnights don't pay for themselves) so Troy got some alone time and by the time I got back at around 11:30 p.m., he was his full-on sweet self (eating, purring up a storm and being a total cutie). The emergency room vets want him to stay on his low-carb diet and to cut back to 1 unit of insulin twice a day (he had been up to 6 in the morning and 5 at night). Still searching for a new vet; have a few ideas from a co-worker. Thanks, again, from Troy and me!

3 comments:

Brian W said...

Whoa, 11 units a day? My cat gets 4 (2 and 2) and our vet was of the mind that going much higher than that was a VERY serious step. I'm glad to hear your little guy is getting better, I know exactly what you're going through.

Anonymous said...

Go Troy!

Anonymous said...

Troyyyyyyyyyyyyy

I am so glad your feeling better.

em