Thursday, April 20, 2006

Sunset Boulevard


I'm busy packing for my a.m. flight to Los Angeles. The past six months have been extremely difficult, what with the deaths of my dad, my uncle, my friend Mike and my friend Larry. Consequently, I have been kind of a homebody of late, not really in the mood to travel or do much. I've been feeling more upbeat in recent weeks (aided by some exciting things that have been happening with my writing), so I decided it was time to head West to have some fun -- and see my family.

First stop is West Hollywood, my old home in the early 1990s (above). Now Hollywood isn't for everybody, but it's all the things that people hate about it that makes me love it so. Everything is so over-the-top and ridiculous (what's not to love?). In what's become an annual pilgrimage, Michael and I skip "attractions" and spend some quiet time by the hotel pool, go to Crunch gym on Sunset for the inevitable droolfest and celebrity sighting, and take the rental car out for long drives along Sunset Boulevard past the Beverly Hills Hotel, the beautiful houses and UCLA's gorgeous Westwood campus until you hit the Pacific Ocean.

On Saturday night we've got tickets to see my girl Susanna Hoffs and Matthew Sweet at the Roxy on the fabulous Sunset Strip along with my best friend from sixth grade, Mark. I'm expecting a run-in or two with some ex-roommates, ex-lovers and D-list celebrities (Jane Wiedlin, Corey Feldman and Mindy Cohn are my predictions). (The concert is at the Roxy Theater, which happens to be where Susanna's pretty-boy-ex Donovan Leitch is starring in "Hedwig and the Angry Inch" --awkward!)

Then we're off to my hometown Phoenix, where my mom, stepfather, a brother and my sister live. April's the time to be in Phoenix -- sunny but not too hot. Perfect lounging-by-the-pool weather and cruising by the old house. My nephew, AJ, is nearly 4 now, and I haven't seen him since June. I hear he's doubled in size again, even if his vocabulary hasn't. My sister is pregnant with a backup baby, so it will be fun teasing her about being an adult (she'll always be a little girl to me).

Blog postings will be few and far between, but will return to normal by next week at this time. Hope you have a great week ...

"Under the Covers Vol. 1" by Matthew Sweet and Susanna Hoffs is the funnest album I've heard in years!

Especially "Different Drum" "Run to Me," and "Sunday Morning"

9 comments:

Dennis! said...

Have a great trip!

Anonymous said...

I didn't know you had experienced so much loss recently. I enjoy your blog a lot, although I've never said so.

Anyway, go. Have fun. Get rested. We'll be here when you get back.

Tom
Santa Cruz, CA

Anonymous said...

I really love this blog! Wish you all the best and good luck!

Jordy from Taiwan

John said...

Hey! Drop a note if you guys go out to MJs or heck, anywhere.

Anonymous said...

Behave.

Anonymous said...

Wow, you're really cute.

Leonard said...

Sorry to hear about your losses, a much needed break sounds like just the thing. Have a great trip and have fun! We'll look forward to your return.
peace

timothyjlambert said...

Have fun!

Greg Herren is doing a signing at A Different Light tonight at 7pm, if you arrive in time and need something to do.

Anonymous said...

I love your blog. You have such a nice mix of cute, hot, sexy and funny...and that's just you! The pics of cats, kids and the life of a genuinely nice guy are great to see. Have fun!