Monday, May 22, 2006

Beauty (and the Beat)




The Go-Go's brought their 25th anniversary "Beauty and the Beat" tour to New York City on Friday night and were about the best I've ever seen them. In honor of the occasion, they opened by playing their debut album in its entirety (one of the best debuts of all time), then mixed things up their other singles, plus their trademark cover of "Remember (Walking in the Sand)" by the Shangri-La's. Belinda Carlisle, always gorgeous, seemed to be enjoying the moment more than in past "reunion" tours and seemed to revel in how "horrifying it was" (as she put it) to think that they'd been a band since 1978. 

The only musical surprise of the night was the inclusion of a fun cover of the Sparks/Jane Wiedlin hit "Cool Places," which was followed by a rousing rendition of "Happy Birthday" for Jane, who turned 48 at the stroke of midnight, yet looked at least a decade younger.

3 comments:

John said...

Oooo, did Belinda do the Russell part?

I saw Sparks in LA last night - expect a full report late Monday.

Jef said...

Ooh... I'm so jealous. I played my "Beauty and the Beat" album until I wore out the grooves in it.

So who sang Russell's part on "Cool Places?" I loved "In Outer Space," too.

Kenneth M. Walsh said...

Yes, it was a total riot.

Belinda sang Russell's part -- she and Jane seemed to really enjoy the "duet"!