Tuesday, May 09, 2006

I HEART The Pipettes!

Being the '80s reject that I am, it takes a lot to get me excited about a new band. Luckily for me my co-worker Jesse still has the enthusiasm of a teenager when it comes to seeking out new music. He knows my taste (pure pop, preferably with a fun girl singer), so he picks his recommendation moments very carefully. A few years back he turned me on to Ivy (how could I have missed that one? Oh, wait. They were formed after 1989 ...). Last week he changed my life(!) when he turned me on to The Pipettes, a three-girl singing group from Britain. They've released a handful of delightful singles and have a debut album, "We Are The Pipettes," slated for release on July 17. Now writing about music is never easy, but my friend Mark described The Pipettes perfectly when he said they were like "Tracey Ullman, Josie Cotton, Mari Wilson and the Vels all in one!" I'd just tack on "produced by Phil Spector" and leave it up to you to check out the most exciting and fun new bands I've heard in ages ...
  • Listen to their music on MySpace here. (Start with their new single "Pull Shapes" and you'll be hooked!)
  • Check out their fun Web site here.
  • 1 comment:

    Anonymous said...

    I <3 The Pipettes now too thanks to you!