Monday, July 10, 2006

'Devil'icious


Saw "The Devil Wears Prada" over the weekend with Michael. Really enjoyed it. The one-liners are fast and furious, although the idiotic plot is really more of a means to an end so you can get to know the only-too-real characters of Runway magazine. With friends at Conde Nast and having worked for its ugly stepsister Fairchild Publications, I felt like I had a little extra appreciation for some of the ridiculousness that goes on behind the scenes, but Michael liked it just as much.


He thinks Anne Hathaway (of "Brokeback Mountain" fame) bears a striking resemblance to a young Liza Minnelli (I definitely see it in the eyes), but I got more of a less-pretty-less-talented-but-younger Amanda Peet vibe. Meryl Streep steals the show as the wonderfully icy Miranda Priestly.


I was pleasantly surprised to see the dashing Simon Baker thrown in as a famous writer type, although I could have done without Adrian Grenier as Anne Hathaway's boyfriend. Just as it is when I see him on "Entourage," I don't get it. No sex appeal there whatsoever -- and seeing him on the big screen only makes his head seem more weirdly shaped. It's a fun movie in the solid B range.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What was up with Simon Baker's Giant Eyebrows? Almost as scary as Adrian "I do not do haircut" Grenier's Giant Head.

Steve Reed said...

I was going to make the same comment about the eyebrows! When Simon Baker showed up on screen, I leaned over to the friend I was with and said, "What is UP with those eyebrows?" He laughed because he was thinking the same thing. I don't get Simon's appeal at all.

LOVED Meryl, though.