Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Music Box: Kirsty MacColl


Kirsty MacColl "Titanic Days"

An almost breathtaking collection of dark and moody pop songs, beautifully produced and surrounded by lush orchestration . Easily my favorite album by the underrated singer/songwriter whose life was cut horribly short in a freak water accident on vacation in Cozumel, Mexico, in 2000. Pause & Play says of "Titanic Days": "In a way, it's her own 'Pet Sounds.'" Indeed. I saw Kirsty in concert at the Birchmere in Alexandria, Virginia, a year or two after this album came out and it was truly my favorite concert ever. What a horrible loss.


Especially: "Can't Stop Killing You," "Soho Square," "Angel" and, of course, the haunting title track.

(Recently, the album was gloriously remastered with bonus tracks for your listening pleasure.)

1 comment:

John said...

I'm a "Kite" man, myself. Saw her in Cleveland during a blizzard on the same tour - there were only 37 of us in attendance!