Sunday, August 13, 2006

Song of the Day: 'Look My Way' by the Vels


One of my favorites from 1984, the Vels (Alice DeSoto on vocals, Chris Larkin on keyboards and Charles Hanson on the bass) were an odd quasi-synth-rap-pop group that had an MTV "video hit" in "Look My Way" from their "Velocity" debut, then disbanded after a second release. Alice went back to her real name (Cohen) when she started singing for Die Monster Die and later Espadrille -- but she'll always be the fun girl in the quirky band singing "if you can't get down get up!" to me ... There's little information about the band on the Web, but another blogger wrote fondly about them back in 2005.

4 comments:

Steve Reed said...

What a great video! If I ever heard that song in 1984, I totally do NOT remember it.

Anonymous said...

Hi Ken Thanks for posting the video of Look my way by The Vels. My favorite Phila band. Saw them many times in Phila. I meet Alice after the group broke up. Very nice person, chat a few mintues.

Unknown said...

what a great song !!!! Congratulations.... If you can i would like to receive it in mp3... my address is giofonsi@gmail.com
sorry for the abuse....

Celia Pleete said...

Thank you SOOOO much for ripping this! I only found out about the Vels a week or so ago, and a friend of mine dubbed me a copy of "Look My Way." Great band, and I really appreciate you putting this up!