Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Best of 2006

Maybe I'm just more aware of these things because of my blog, but with the possible exception of television, 2006 sure seemed like one of the weakest years I can remember for popular entertainment ("Artie Lange's Beer League"?).

So rather than drum up my beloved Top 10 lists, I offer you a more general list of films, television shows and music I liked in 2006:

MOVIES:


  • Little Miss Sunshine: Even though I found the ending to be a little bit weak, it was still hands down the finest film of the year. (previously)

  • Thank You for Smoking: Didn't read the book but loved the film. (previously)

  • The Devil Wears Prada: The only way this could have been better was if they had cast someone less attractive than Anne Hathaway to play our protagonist, but such is life. (previously)

  • The Groomsmen: A fine return to form from everyone's favorite Irish brother Ed Burns. (previously)



  • Jackass Number Two: I laughed, really hard.

  • Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan: See "Jackass Number Two." (previously)

  • Another Gay Movie: A surprisingly well-done send-up of teen movies with a gay twist. That queen who does the Paul Lynde impersonation deserves an Oscar! (previously)

  • Running With Scissors: Maybe the bad reviews put my expectations way down, but I really enjoyed the adaptation of Augusten Burroughs' memoir. (previously)



    Not-so-honorable mentions:

  • Friends With Money: A bunch of couples sit around analyzing their single friend and each other. There will never be another "Manhattan," but that won't stop others from trying. This attempt wasn't half-bad. (previously)

  • Strangers With Candy: Despite the ABC Afternoon Special format, Jerri Blank is still best served as a sitcom, but the film did have its moments. (previously)

  • Trust the Man: I think this is a different film from "Friends With Money." (previously)

  • Scoop: The trailer for Woody Allen's second Scarlett Johansson film looked so bad that I was kind of stunned that it didn't completely suck. (previously)

    TELEVISION:



  • Friday Night Lights (NBC): The best high-school drama I've seen since "My So-Called Life," and if you know me, you know that's really saying something. (previously)

  • Intervention (A&E): Unquestionably my favorite "reality" show. Watching addicts in action may not be for everyone, but seeing their families struggle to guide them toward recovery pulls me in every time.

  • Dog Bites Man (Comedy Central): The documentary style behind-the-scenes look at the inept KHBX news team in Spokane, Wash., is the funniest show I've seen in years. Those with a low threshold for embarrassment need not watch: only the main actors know it's fake -- everyone else is an unsuspecting participant.

  • The Daily Show With Jon Stewart (Comedy Central): Despite now working with his weakest set of correspondents ever, Stewart still is right on the money every time he speaks. (previously)

  • The Colbert Report (Comedy Central): Stephen Colbert has the biggest balls in show biz and I'm available for tea bagging Monday through Thursday. (previously)

  • The Office (NBC): I thank my friend Jay for turning me on to this one, it's a classic. (previously)

  • Dexter (Showtime): There's something about the way Michael C. Hall allows us to see -- however so briefly -- that there is a warm human being inside this Robin Hood of a serial killer that makes me come back for more. (previously)

  • Small Space, Big Style (HGTV): See my apartment and you'll understand.

    Guilty pleasures:
  • Nip/Tuck (FX): The show is completely over the top, but the vapid characters and glossy, Miami Vice cum MTV video look are something I find hard to resist. (previously)

  • The Janice Dickinson Modeling Agency (Oxygen): She's nutty but I can't help loving her. A few good-looking models and Janice's hot son with a speech impediment didn't hurt either. (previously)

  • The Hills (MTV): "Laguna Beach: The Real Orange County" was my old guilty pleasure, but the cast of Season 3 was so despicable that I could barely watch it. Enter "The Hills," LC's more grown-up spinoff. I love Hollywood and all of its trappings, so I can't help but get a kick out of watching a bunch of pretty young people explore it all. (See: House Party on Curson circa 1991) (previously)

  • 8th and Ocean (MTV): Pretty models bicker in South Beach. Need I say more? (previously)

  • Real Housewives of Orange County (Bravo): I'm particularly not proud of this one. (previously)
  • MUSIC:


  • Black Cadillac by ROSANNE CASH / Just when it seemed she'd been replaced by a new generation of singer/songwriters, Rosanne Cash recorded a stirring album inspired by the loss of three parents in one year and proved to us that she's still in a class of her own. (previously)

  • Under the Covers, Vol. 1 by MATTHEW SWEET and SUSANNA HOFFS / I couldn't have made up a better idea than this collection of 1960s covers. (previously)

  • We Are The Pipettes by THE PIPETTES / Phil Spector is on trial for murder, but it's The Pipettes who should be arrested for stealing his inspiration. (previously)

  • Antidepressant by LLOYD COLE / He's back and as melodic/acerbic as ever.

  • Fundamental by PET SHOP BOYS / Even though they've been recording nonstop since their heyday, I kind of forgot about the PSB. News of a tour got me to actually buy this album the same year it came out (imagine!) and it didn't disappoint. (previously)

  • Sev7en by EXENE CERVENKA & the Original Sinners / I always thought Exene was sort of like Stevie Nicks -- great as part of a duo, but not so great alone. I was wrong.

  • The Morning After by PAL SHAZAR / On her sixth solo disc, the former Slow Children singer/songwriter retains her neurotic and ever-solipsistic charm. (previously)

  • Blue by DIANA ROSS / Shelved as a companion to "Lady Sings the Blues," Diana's less pop takes on the old Billie Holiday standards were worth the wait. (previously)

  • Life in the Shade by BROOKVILLE / One-third of Ivy is definitely not one-third as good.

  • Never Say Never by KIM WILDE / She may be outdated and irrelevant to many, but Kim Wilde returned in '06 with an album that showed she still knows how to craft some decent pop songs, and that's just fine with me.

    CONCERTS:


  • SAINT ETIENNE, Feb. 13 at Irving Plaza / Sarah and boys shook me all night long. (previously)

  • ROSANNE CASH, May 4 at St. Ann's Warehouse / The only thing hotter than the AC-free theater that night was Rosanne's stellar performance. (previously)

  • THE GO-GO'S, May 19 at Nokia Theater / Belinda and the girls were in rare form celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Beauty and the Beat," and Michael was in equally rare form helping me celebrate 39 years on Planet Earth. (previously)

  • THE PRETENDERS, July 27 at Roseland Ballroom / Chrissie Hynde must have made a pact with the Devil because she was no different than the last time I'd seen her live, on 1984's "Learning to Crawl" tour. (previously)


    THEATER:


  • The Little Dog Laughed / The only play I've ever seen where I thought I really "got" theater. (previously)
  • 2 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    Daily Show, Office, Colbert, Dog Bites Man....I love those shows. We could cuddle of the sofa for hours on end.

    Blobby said...

    Black Cadillac is great. Finally saw Rosanne in concert this year - and had only been waiting 20 yrs to do so.

    I liked the Sweet/Hoffs disk...but not loved.

    Did love Jenny Lews & The Watson Twins (Rabbit Fur Coat) and really grew to love the Dixie Chicks new one.

    Check out Damien Rice's new one too.