Monday, April 23, 2007

Baby Love

I got some very sad news about Troy this afternoon. He has a huge tumor in his belly and some pancreas problems, so treatment isn't much of an option for the little guy.

He's in the hospital right now and discharge hours are over for the day, so I'm hoping to go get him when I wake up tomorrow and have him spend the night (or two) with me before they put my baby down. He has not eaten in weeks and is probably not in a good way, but he's still affectionate as ever and I think I still want to be with him a little more, even if it's selfish. He's a very sweet boy.

Thanks to all of you who have sent your well-wishes. They're greatly appreciated. I love that while humans seem to disagree on so many topics, when it comes to pets it's unanimously unconditional love.

  • Read: LOVE ALLERGY / The Boyfriend or the Cat: Which Would You Choose?
  • 28 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    I am so sorry to hear this. I hope your last few days/nights together are memorable.

    I hope your baby is not suffering and I hope you are able to spend some quality time with him.

    Anonymous said...

    I'm so sorry. It's wonderful that he is still affectionate and I'm sure he wants to be with you as much as you want to keep him with you for a while longer.

    Anonymous said...

    i can tell from your blog how much you love Troy, and how much of a friend he is to you and Michael. I hope that he is not in pain, and that you will be able to one day celebrate his life and the connection you were able to make with him. In many ways, we are defined by the loves that we have.

    Rick said...

    I'm sorry to hear this Kenneth but it's good to know whats up. It won't be easy anytime you decide but atleast you have some control. Hang in there!

    Anonymous said...

    I so sorry for you and Troy. It's so tough to put a pet down but just know that he won't be in pain any more. Be strong.
    Jim in RI

    Anonymous said...

    As a reader of your blog, and have 2 cats (a mother and daughter pair)that I love, it is indeed very sad to hear about your baby. He knows that his time is coming with only a few short days left to spend with you, and he will leave this world knowing that you were always there for him and loved him (ok, writing this is making me cry). I wish you both the very best during this difficult time. Just remember this - he will be up above watching down over you with love.

    Anonymous said...

    So sorry to hear about this Kenneth. I hope you're doing OK.

    Anonymous said...

    Kenneth, I'm so sorry to hear about Troy. I don't think it is selfish at all that you want to spend a few more days with Troy. Enjoy your time together and always remember that you will have your memories to get you through the days.

    Anonymous said...

    Kenneth... sorry to hear the news about Troy... even when our pets are very sick it is still a very tough decision to have to make. Hang in there!

    gregn7157 said...

    I have been enjoying your blog for several weeks now having discovered it through a link from another site.

    As much as I have enjoyed your blog, I was saddened to read the news of your sweet, precious Troy. As a "papa" myself of a beautiful, loving tuxedo kitty, I know that this is a very difficult time for you & I just wanted to let you know that you & Troy are in my thoughts.

    Try to be strong & treasure the time you have left with this wonderful friend.

    Deeoshaythree said...

    Hi Kenneth, as a reader of your blog for the past few months, I just want to tell you how sorry I am to hear about Troy. *hugs* I hope you're doing all right.

    Anonymous said...

    Kenneth,

    I'm so sorry to hear of the diagnosis. Enjoy every moment.

    You and Troy will remain in my thoughts.

    With love...

    Editor said...

    That is such sad news.

    I was really praying for a different outcome for Troy.

    A big hug to you both Kenneth.

    :(


    QTC

    Anonymous said...

    Hi, I'm so sorry to hear about the news of Troy's tumor. As a pet owner myself there is nothing stronger than the love and affection between a pet and it's owner. When I tell people that it's like having a child, some, just don't understand. Be confident to know that Troy knows that you love and care for him.
    After reading your blog for several months now,(In fact, it's how I start my day), I've been wanted to post a note telling you how much I enjoy your blog.
    Thank you for sharing a part of yourself with us and remember you have alot of friends out here in cyberland.
    Take care,
    Jeff in Chicago

    Anonymous said...

    Stay Strong Babe. Troy couldn't have had a better man to call his Daddy for the last 13 years than you Kenny.

    Love you lots, and I am always here for you to lean on.

    Michael
    xoxo

    Anonymous said...

    I'm so sorry to hear about Troy! Every time I read his name I think of the short-staccato way you say it---TROY! He's been a part of your life for so long, it's definitely a sad day. Let me know if there's anything you need. Sorry for your loss. :(

    Anonymous said...

    Kenneth, I wish you strength and peace. Sadly, I've always placed pets above people and it's hardest to say goodbye to a source of pure love and companionship. Troy knows how much you love him and I'm sure he is comforted being with you during this time.

    dpaste said...

    If he is not suffering I don't see any rush to put him to sleep. Enjoy all the time you can with him. Maybe take a day off for a last snuggle fest. If he starts to really be in pain or discomfort, than you can bring him in. Even though I knew she was ailing, I kept my Courtney at home and was able to be with her through to the end.

    Anonymous said...

    Why do people always bring their animals home to torture them one last time instead of putting them to sleep? I think it's cruel to make the animal suffer two more days when it hasn't eaten in weeks. You should be ashamed of yourself.

    Unknown said...

    OH MAN!...I am so sorry about TROY
    my thoughts are with you!

    Tony(nyc)

    TJ said...

    Know that he loves you and that he also knows that you will do what is right.

    Anonymous said...

    Sorry Kenneth. I enjoy your blog, as it is always in my top 10 to read. I have a kitty too, and have always been pretty good with pet deaths. But when this one's time is up, it will be a hard one for me too. Unfortunately, all pets are just little tragedies waiting to happen. Chin up. Fate has a way of awarding us "sequels" that don't replace the originals but instead provide contrast. Good wishes.

    Anonymous said...

    Kenneth.
    Nothing can make this easy, and non-pet owners just do not understand.
    My thoughts are with you. I remember when my Lucy was so sick, and once treatments were no longer effective we had to make a tough decision. The hardest being to pick "the day". Nothing makes that decision easy. There is comfort though in knowing it is for the best. I am thankful that I decided to be in the room and hold Lucy and say goodbye as she passed in my lap. I am thankful I got to cry for a long time holding her. I am thankful for being able to let go. She is still here with me, spiritually and physically (cremated)and in my memory.
    We now have two wonderful new (1 year old) babies to care for and make new memories to add to the old ones.
    My thoughts are with you.

    Anonymous said...

    Kenneth: As a regular reader but infrequent commenter, I just wanted to say that I was very sorry to read this.

    May you and your Troy know peace at this time.

    Anonymous said...

    Kenneth,
    It’s Wednesday night and I have been putting off commenting on this post since I read it on Monday because I have been unable to express in words my true feelings for you and Troy at this time in your lives. From your previous posts about Troy it is obvious that you love each other. Peace be with you both.

    When our cat Tom died my partner and I held a memorial service for him, we invited people who knew him, we shared wonderful memories and then we spread his ashes in the garden. I suppose some people thought it was strange to hold a memorial service for a cat but for us it was a matter of respect.

    I am sure you will do what is right for Troy regardless of what others may think.

    Randy

    Jeph said...

    I'm so sorry...."it's not fair" just doesn't seem to hold much weight, but it's pretty much how I feel for you...

    Steve Reed said...

    Kenneth: I'm just catching up on my blog reading, and I'm SO SORRY to hear about Troy. How devastating.

    When my cat of 16 years died a couple of years ago, it helped to write an obituary - which sounds strange, but I recommend it. It's very therapeutic.

    Anonymous said...

    Oh that is so sad! I'm so sorry to hear that Kenneth.

    Seb