Wednesday, April 18, 2007

We Can't Handle the Truth?

BEFORE (N.Y. Daily News)

AFTER (N.Y. Post)

NOTE TO NEWSPAPER EDITORS: You CAN'T go around Photoshopping news photos -- even of a crime victim's penis. Do you not understand how wrong this is?
If you're unclear (hint: it's dishonest), continue reading after the jump. ---->
Read my newest post on this topic here.
UPDATE: Here's an interesting bit of news that I'm just now hearing about. Allan Detrich, an award-winning Toledo Blade photographer, resigned from the staff April 7 after admitting he digitally altered the content of a photograph that was published on The Blade's front page. A subsequent investigation has found he's altered 79 photos since January '07 (see examples). (Romenesko)
(Photo by Alan Kim/Roanoke Times)

6 comments:

Dwight Supremacy said...

They even Photoshopped it to make it less bloody I think! Hello, journalistic integrity!

Anonymous said...

Interesting read of your opinion. I think I agree with. There is nothing wrong with just not running this photo or running cropped/black boxed. Excellent pot.

Anonymous said...

i don't think it matters.

Anonymous said...

Wow...there IS less blood in the chopped picture! I didn't notice before.

Anonymous said...

I'm as liberal as the next person. But I think it's incredulous that you believe you have integrity. Yes, the picture has been edited, but I'm sure that if that was someone you knew or your child, you wouldn't want them to be bloody or nude on a front cover of a newspaper. I find it incredibly insensitive that you don't feel any empathy for the person. It may be lying, but imagine what the "truth" wold accomplish. What's the best that can happen when the un-doctored photo is shown.

Anonymous said...

Then I guess you think it was out of concern and protection that the Tillmans were told their son died at the hands of the enemy he was fighting too?