Wednesday, June 20, 2007

One Bad Apple Don't Spoil the Bunch?

SEE UPDATE BELOW!
I know a lot of you are tired of hearing about my Apple/iPod problems, so if you're one of them please stop reading now.


Truth be told, though, this is really more of a question than an actual complaint. So remember how I took my iPod to Rome last month and didn't even turn it on until the flight home, only to discover the battery was dead (having been fully charged and then never used)? Today I was in the mood to listen to the new Peter Bjorn & John tracks I got on iTunes (see how hip I am?) so I took my fully charged iPod to work with me today. Listened to about two songs on the short ride to Times Square and then I turned it off. As I was leaving work tonight -- a mere seven hours later (thank you, Newspaper Guild of America!) -- my iPod was completely dead again.

Do other people have this same experience or is my iPod truly defective (again)? I can't believe you can't listen to it on the way to and from work in one day without the charge going dead. With the Rome thing it had been sitting in my bag for five days, so even though that seemed ridiculous given the fact that it wasn't turned on, I could almost accept that. But all in one day? More than anything, I'm in disbelief. Anyone? (In case it matters, mine is the Fifth Generation model.)

UPDATE: So I turned my iPod on at 2 p.m. and decided I would continue to let it play until the battery died. It's now nearly 10 p.m. and it's still playing -- and the green battery indicator says it's still fully charged. I have no idea what is going on. I'm guessing the problem may have to do with the unit's ability to turn back on after resting. The battery (obviously) is more than capable of working for hours on end. Sadly, my iPod is more than a year old now and Apple kind of blows you off at that point, or so I've heard.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

my ipod battery lasts weeks and I play it constantly at the gym.

Anonymous said...

ever tried to "re-start" it?
I don't know what the real term for it but all you have to do is press the "menu button" for a few seconds, make it 10 seconds, then the screen should light up...if not, you're fucked and you should take it to the apple store for a macgenius to work on it to diagnose the problem.

johnbeene said...

Kenneth sweetie, this shouldn't be happening to you.

One thing that you've probably already thought of but make sure the hold switch is engaged before you put it in a bag or something. It may be turning itself on.

Anon's idea of resetting is good but he gave you the wrong instructions. Here they are:

1. Toggle the Hold switch on and off. (Slide it to Hold, then turn it off again.)
2. Press and hold the Menu and Center (Select) buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appears, about 6 to 10 seconds. You may need to repeat this step.

If these things don't work the take it to the Apple store and let them have a crack.

Jester said...

John is probably right -- you need to take advantage of the "hold" switch at the top of the ipod. It prevents the ipod from waking up every the wheel gets touched or jostled in your bag.

I used to have a problem with mine running down because the backlight was set to stay on for a while and it would get bumped several times throughout the day.

Now I can go DAYS without recharging.

Also - it could be possible that your software needs to be updated. My boyfriend's iPod was freaking out and not turning off correctly... a quick software update took care of it.

Kenneth M. Walsh said...

No, no, no! I have it on hold when I travel and I have it off and sitting on my desk during the day at work. I'm not just stupidly walking around running the battery into the ground! Keep in mind this happens every time I use it!

ValVega said...

Kenneth,

I have that same ipod model and this has never happened to me.

My bat lasts for days. I walk all over the city listening to it, and I was in Brussels last week and didn't even charge it before I left and still I listened to Harry Potter all the way back to Madrid.

Maybe you should get it checked or change the batt?

Vance said...

Do you use your ipod until it drains the battery completely? then recharge it to the full 4 hours? That's the best way to get the longest lasting battery life in my experience. If I don't drain it completely, and recharge (even to the full 4 hours), it doesn't last as long as if I use it until it's dead and THEN recharge. Now it always lasts me the full 12 hours playtime or at least a week and a half if I use it occasionally.

Anonymous said...

kenneth, i'm having the same problem with my ipod, also a 5th gen. up to now, i've never had a problem with any of my ipods (this is my fourth in six years)--just this one. it won't hold a charge, constantly sends me the "unhappy ipod" face, etc. i've accepted that this one is just a lemon.

so, until someone gets me a new one, i'll use my 4gig nano, even though it only holds a fraction of my songs...

Kenneth M. Walsh said...

I've done all of the resetting things suggested in the manual, having to put all of my music back on there twice. No luck.

I'm in the process of letting it play itself to the point that it runs out of juice. Like I said, the battery doesn't die out when it's playing (it's been on for over three hours now), it shuts up after hours of non-use. Perhaps if it completely uncharges and then recharges it will come back to life.

Anonymous said...

I had the same problem with my 4th generation iPod, and took it back to the Mac store, they diagnosed the battery as being defective after "monitoring" it for a couple of days and gave me a free replacement.

Anonymous said...

There is a serious quality control issue for these iPods.

My advice is...if you don't think it's working right, take it back under warranty and insist (which may mean you have to be very pushy) that you get a replacement.

Apple is not that great at customer care. The only way to get assistance is to go into their Apple Store and go to the genius bar for them to help you. You are best to make an appointment via the internet before going in because they don't take walk ins.

There is basically no telephone customer service.

I've had several defective iPods. I wonder what kind of luck people will have with the iPhone. I wouldn't touch another apple product if you paid me. I find their quality control too spotty.