Thursday, September 06, 2007

Josie Cotton: 'Maneaters (Get Off the Road)'


Back in high school Josie Cotton's "Convertible Music" was one of my favorite albums. (Her performances of "He Could Be the One" and "Johnny Are You Queer?" in "Valley Girl" only solidified my love!) But after 1984's "From the Hip" Josie disappeared from the world of music. (Both albums were lovingly restored into a one-disc collection back in '02. ) She's made a few minor comebacks since then but nothing she's done has been as fun as this new song from her forthcoming album, "Invasion of the B-Girls," a collection of covers of B movie theme songs. "Inside everyone is a really bad actor, and I tried very hard to channel that," Josie explained. The disc, which is slated for an April Fool's release on her own Scruffy Records imprint, contains Josie's unique take on tunes from classic underground films like "Faster Pussycat," "Kill Kill," "Beyond the Valley of the Dolls," "She Devils on Wheels," and John Waters' infamous "Female Trouble." Until then, check out Josie's MySpace for updates here.


2 comments:

nojarama said...

I SOOOOOOOOO can't wait for this!

And yes, all my friends teased me with the "Johnny Are You Queer" song to me daily as a kid. And my response was always the same... "What? Are you deaf, dumb and blind?!!!". He-he!

Anonymous said...

Holy crap, this is AWESOME!!!