Tuesday, December 11, 2007

KW360 (Mommy Edition)

While the tabloids are going ga-ga over Anderson Cooper's guest-room portrait of his mother, Gloria Vanderbilt, I needed to show he's not the only momma's boy in the (212). I may not have a huge painting of my mom on the walls of my apartment -- or a guest room -- but I have pictures of her on my blog. And god knows I love my Molly every bit as much as the silver fox with the big guns loves his Gloria.
But as many of my sweet, well-wishing friends know, right before Halloween (fittingly enough), Mom had a frightening mishap with her (ridiculously large) SUV while "parking" outside my sister's house in Arizona.
Mom thought she'd put her vehicle in park and got out to fish around for the car's front window sun visor when suddenly the truck -- which seems to have been in reverse -- began to move and the door slammed her to the ground. (As my friend Mary put it, "you need to remind her that 'R' is for 'reverse,' not 'remove yourself from the car.'") As you can see from the photos she was banged up pretty badly. One of her Debbie Harry cheekbones was broken (almost grounds for me to seek emancipation as far as I'm concerned -- they're her best feature) and her eyeball was on the brink of "falling" if she were to so much as sneeze. (I can only imagine the look on my sister and her kids' faces when "grandma" -- somehow -- crawled to the front door and began screaming, "GET MY PURSE! GET MY CAR!!" as it rolled into the neighbor's front yard.) All kidding aside, she was very lucky it didn't run her over and I'm happy to report no one was hit by the runaway Expedition (nor was anyone's house damaged).

I'm also happy to report that at Thanksgiving she was well on the mend, and as these pictures from the AZ portion of my family's weekend getaway to beautiful Pinetop indicate, she's as gorgeous as ever! I love you, Mom!!!
Wife: With my stepdad, Gary

Mother: With my sister, Jennifer / Grandmother: Sharing a laugh with Ally and AJ

1 comment:

John said...

Poor thing! Glad to see she's doing better.