Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Cher Must Be So Proud

I was thrilled when The New York Times Styles section started running same-sex "wedding" announcements a few years ago, but I was still somewhat stunned when I opened Sunday's paper and saw Sonny & Cher's little girl Chastity Bono in full-on menswear with a pretty brunette on her arm. I grew up with Chastity and always loved it when she'd come out at the end of "The Sonny & Cher Show" to sing "I Got You Babe" with her silly dad and her glamorous mom. But at the risk of sounding like her mother, a wedding day in a black tux wasn't exactly something I'd dreamed of for Cher's little "Chaz." (Sorry to my lezzie readers, I never "got" women wearing men's clothing in real-life situations; life isn't a drag show.)

No sooner had I processed all of that I was even more taken aback when I realized it wasn't her in the photo at all, but was actually The Donald's namesake himself, Donald Trump Jr.!

Although I was relieved for Cher, I was disgusted for another reason. Just like dad, Junior has found himself "a model" who would have never given him the time of day if he weren't "a Trump" (whatever that means). Her name is Vanessa Haydon, 27, and not surprisingly, her looks may well be the only thing she has going for her (minus the newly cemented meal ticket). The rather brief wedding announcement says Haydon had a bit part in the movie "Something's Gotta Give" and is "studying for a bachelor's degree in psychology at Marymount College in New York."

So let's see here: A 27-year-old undergrad/movie extra? Mmm. I think it's pretty safe to say she made the right move marrying a Trump.

As for the real Chastity Bono, this case of the mistaken bridegroom led me to an article that says she will be appearing alongside Bruce Villanch and others in the third installment of VH1's weight-loss show, "Celebrity Fit Club." Good luck, Chaz!

Read The Times wedding announcement here.

3 comments:

Reviews For Jake said...

Oww. That hurt.

LOL!

Anonymous said...

Sadly, I'm also being told that the stuff about the bride's bragging about a bit part in a movie and being a 27-year-old undergrad is true.

I should hate you for that one, because you know I would brag about either of those things if I could . . . but I just can't. Laughing too hard.

Mike said...

I read that Chas/Da is going to be on VH1's Celebrity Fit Club #3. Cher must be beside herself. One of my favorite Cher quotes, yes, just one of them is, "I don't watch that crap. (speaking of reality TV shows and their popularity) I don't need to see some asshole eating worms."

Well, now she'll watch her daugther doing weigh-ins on national TV. Oy.