Thursday, January 12, 2006

The Wee Small Hours of the Morning

It's after 2 a.m. and I just got back from attending my friend Larry's funeral in Fort Lauderdale. I hope to resume regular blogging in the near future, but wanted to give friends, family and other readers a brief update on my buddy.

We now know that our sweet Larry died of bacterial meningitis, which he must have contracted near the end of his work trip in London. Larry had e-mailed Chris on Friday that he thought he was coming down with something (symptoms of meningitis are nearly identical to those of the flu), so we believe he boarded the plane in a weakened state eager to get home to get well. The doctors Chris spoke to assure him that Larry likely felt no pain and died peacefully sleeping as his body tried to fight back against the meningitis as it moved from his spine to his brain.

The funeral was beautiful and meeting Larry's extended family was a pleasure. He comes from wonderful people -- so it's clear how he turned out to be such a great kid.

Off to bed. Take care,
kw

  • Read:
  • Larry Brickman Memorial
  • Read:
  • New York City Boys
  • Read:
  • Obituary and Guest Book
  • Read:
  • Very Sad in the (212)
  • Read:
  • To Know Him Is to Love Him

    2 comments:

    Chad said...

    Thanks for the update, Kenneth. I'm happy to finally have some answers to the mystery. It's still tragic and heartbreaking... and hope you are doing OK.

    Anonymous said...

    I just found out about Larry and his untimely passing. I'm still completely stunned. He was such a sweet nice guy. I didn't know him that terribly well but when I'd see him out at social situations he always said hi and was so friendly. I hope Chris is hanging in there, I can only imagine what he is going through.