Friday, October 06, 2006

Pretenders Deluxe


The first album I profiled in my ongoing Listen Up series of all-time favorites was the classic Pretenders debut from 1980. Over the summer I went to see the Pretenders and couldn't believe how great Chrissie Hynde sounds after all these years (it's like time stood still with that woman). I've long been complaining that the early Pretenders albums were begging to be remastered (when songs from them come on my iPod, they're half as loud as current music), but it was beginning to seem like every other album was being deluxed up except the Pretenders.

Much to my delight the good people at Rhino Records answered my prayers this Tuesday -- and the glorious results arrived in my mailbox today! Where do I begin in describing what they've done: not only are the first two albums remastered and sounding better than ever, each comes with a bonus disc of rarities, b-sides, demos and live tracks from the early years. Both collections come with the complete lyrics (something the original albums didn't have if my memory serves me correctly) and both have all of the original artwork and detailed liner notes, including information on the bonus material. I just got them today and haven't even gotten through all four discs yet as I write this -- I just heard Chrissie scream out her McEnroe-inspired "You guys are the pits of the world!" opening of "Pack It Up" -- but already I'm mesmerized by the demo of "Brass in Pocket" in which Chrissie's point of view is completely in reverse singing "You're special. So special" rather than the more appropriate rocker chick "I'm special" attitude we've always loved. Another surprise is that the song "Tequila" from 1994's "The Last of the Independents" is actually an old number from the original lineup days (the demo is included).

If you're a Pretenders fan you'll want to get both of these classic albums in the format they deserve to be heard in. Go to Amazon and check out the two-disc remastered versions of "Pretenders" here and "Pretenders II" here.

(Note to Rhino: You really outdid yourselves, but did you have to use those annoying cardboard cases that are too big to fit in a CD rack?! Oh, well. You can't have everything ...)

Previously:
I Love Pretending
Listen Up: Pretenders (1980)

No comments: